Saturday, March 5, 2011

My favorite French Toast


If you like making French toast (and who doesn't), you should try this: Forget the vanilla extract and add 1 Tbls of dry sherry instead per 2 eggs to your favorite french toast recipe or use mine below. I don't keep sherry in stock, so I had to hunt it down in a liquor store, but I'm glad i did. Don't use cooking sherry, make a pilgrimage to get the real stuff. For the toast français to be properly mind-altering, keep the ingredients to a minimum and use a proper cast iron skillet properly. Or don't.

Credit where credit is due: I found the sherry addition idea from Derek at Derek on Cast Iron
. As another poster noted, best french toast on the planet. I wholeheartedly agree, whether you use his recipe or mine.

My recipe makes about 12 slices, to make about 6 slices divide all ingredients in half. If you're feeding a crowd, feel free to go forth and multiply. And don't be afraid to bake up some bacon.

French Toast


4 beaten eggs
1 cup milk
4 tsp sugar
1 tsp vanilla and/or 2 Tbls dry sherry

1 tsp (or so) ground cinnamon (most simple) -or-
2 tsp pumpkin pie spice -or-
2 tsp "baking spice" -or-
make your own (least simple)

1/2 tsp salt

12-15 slices dry white bread (I use potato bread, some folks swear by french bread. Use what you have)

butter or vegetable spray for greasing the pan - preferably a cast iron skillet or griddle

Whisk together eggs, milk, sugar, sherry/vanilla, spices and salt.
Dip bread in egg mixture, coating both sides.
Cook bread on both sides until golden brown.

Makes: 12-15 slices

No comments: