Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Bacon


Okay, so you have to have bacon with breakfast once in a while. Well, maybe more than once in a while. I used to fry it up on my cast iron griddle, but not since I came across what I am told is the "Alton Brown method". You bake it in the oven. I know, it seems obscene, but what it is is obscenely simple.

Take a cookie sheet or baking sheet (or jelly roll tray) and line it with parchment paper (or aluminum foil). You can put a wire rack on top to drain the fat if you like. Place the bacon on the paper, foil, or wire rack. If you're feeling adventurous, sprinkle with some brown sugar and black pepper. Pop it in your cold oven, and turn it on to 350F (you can go up to 375 if you're still feeling adventurous).

Cook for about 20-25 minutes. If you didn't use a wire rack, you may want to blot the bacon dry with some paper towels before serving.

Check the bacon after 20 minutes! The bacon cooks quickly during the end game. You will want to make sure you take it out earlier if you like it chewy and later if you like it more crispy. But really keep your eye on it after 20 minutes, esp. if your oven is at 375.

Do I need to say it? Mmm bacon.

No comments: